Tax Department Manager
A wonderful full-time career opportunity with our rapidly growing CPA firm awaits! We will have a need primarily in our Cambridge office for a tax and advisory services professional. The ideal candidate would train for a few months in our St. Louis Park office and then spend 3-5 days a week in our Cambridge office. There will be a lot of opportunity to take over the Cambridge office in the coming years and advance quickly in the firm for the right individual. We offer a competitive salary and benefits, a fun work environment, and advancement opportunities.
EXPERIENCE, REQUIREMENTS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
EDUCATION AND LICENSURE
- BA/BSB in Accounting or other major with tax and accounting (through intermediate) course work completed
- Certified Public Accountant (required)-active preferred, within one year inactive accepted
- Minimum of five (5) years of experience preparing all types of tax returns with a public CPA firm or private company.
- Minimum of three (3) years reviewing all types of tax returns and compiled financial statements with a public CPA firm or private company.
REQUIREMENT & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Meet with clients to prepare simple and complex U.S. and state individual income, gift tax, and estate tax returns.
- Review and manage staff deliverables including tax returns, extensions, tax planning calculations, and write-up work for all entity types (C-Corp, S-Corp, Partnership, Fiduciary, Non Profit, gift, multi-state and TX franchise).
- Review Compiled financial statements for Corporations, Not for Profit entities, Partnerships, and Individuals, including work-papers, accounting and adjusting entries, bank reconciliations, and client books and records.
- Prepare and review simple and complex tax planning projections for individual and corporate estimated tax liability.
- Manage and monitor client deliverables and due dates.
- Prepare complex U.S. and multi-state income tax returns for business entities, including consolidated and non-consolidated C-corporations, S-Corporations, Partnerships, Fiduciary, and Non-Profit Organizations.
- Conduct simple and complex tax research and prepare memorandum outlining findings and conclusions.
- Respond to IRS and state agency audits, inquires, and tax notices. Communicate with IRS and clients in connection with audits, inquires, and tax notices.
- Delegate projects to staff that can handle them most efficiently and provide accounting and tax assistance to staff as needed.
- Communicate directly with existing clients, colleagues, management, and IRS representatives regarding various tax matters.
- Assist with business development efforts, including but not limited to, meeting with prospective clients, preparing fee quotes and proposals, and evaluating clients’ needs.
- Lead department in knowledge of software, processes, and workflows.
- Assist with employee training for new hires and ongoing employee training.
- Engage in consulting and special projects as requested by Management and Clients.
- Takes direction and reports to the Partners of the tax department.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILL REQUIREMENTS:
- Good oral and written communication
- Good time management and organizational skills
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, UltraTax, or equivalent tax software.
- Proficient in QuickBooks or equivalent accounting software desired. At minimum, must have sound knowledge of basic functionality of QuickBooks or equivalent accounting software.
- Direct report to Tax Department Shareholder and indirectly to other Shareholders
To apply for this career opportunity, please send cover letter and resume to email@example.com.